Why Hiking Feeds My Soul

I absolutely understand if joy isn’t the first emotion you feel when you think of taking a trek up a mountainside. I wouldn’t exactly classify myself as “outdoorsy”.  I don’t like bugs, I’m heartbroken when a nail breaks, and I cry if mud gets between by toes. But there’s something about hiking that feeds my soul. The most logical explanation I can muster up for this is because of all the parallels between hiking and the way I’ve been living my life lately. And that's exactly why I booked a hiking trip to Arizona when I needed some extra motivation and clarity.

The Journey > The Destination    
Cathedral Rock - Sedona, AZ
It’s so cliché, but it’s a cliché for a reason---it’s true. The views might be gorgeous once you get to the top of a climb, but they are nothing compared to what you see along the way. In my everyday life I used to have a bad habit of only focusing on the prize and not the moments along the way. The last few weeks I’ve taken the time to curb the multi-tasking and the rush of things and spend more time living in the moment and enjoying the beauty along the way. 

It’s Not Always Glamorous
Let’s be honest, hiking can be gross and sweaty and buggy and sometimes you ruin the manicure you just got BUT that doesn’t mean you stop. If anything it’s a reason to keep going and know that you didn’t get yourself in a situation just to quit before you see it out. It’s inevitable that you will end up with some scrapes and bruises, but once you’re done there’s something liberating about the (literal or figurative) battle wounds you collect along the way. 
Camelback Mountain - Phoenix, AZ


No Two Paths Are The Same
When there is only a semi-marked path, it’s up to you to figure out which way to go. Just like in life there isn’t only one way to approach the trek. But just because no two paths are the same doesn’t mean you don’t still make it to the top. This was one of the most frustrating facts of life for me up until recently. I craved an exact blueprint to lead me to where I wanted to be in life. However, these days I find it oddly comforting that sometimes there are no answers on which path is the “right” one.


Sometimes You Need To Reevaluate
Camelback Mountain - Phoenix, AZ
I’m a huge advocate of the “cross that bridge when you get there” approach and when I’m facing a new trail that is often the only option I have. And with that you need to be able to take a step back and readjust your strategy. I quickly realized on my most recent wilderness adventures that it’s ok to course correct and head back down the rocks you just scaled if it means avoiding a dead end. Similarly, in my day to day world I had been on a pretty straight and narrow path the last 5 years. I stayed involved on campus, had multiple internships, landed a job with my dream company before graduation, I worked hard and eventually started to move up. But that’s when I needed to take a step back and realize that somewhere along the way I lost sight of what the “destination” really was for me. 

It Feels Impossible Until It’s Done
Staring at the top of a mountain when you’re at the bottom feels like an insurmountable task at times. But just like life, it feels damn good once you’ve made it.
End of Cathedral Rock - Sedona, AZ
Top of Camelback Mountain - Phoenix, AZ

  
Hiking feeds my soul because just like in life you have to take it one step at a time. Next time you find yourself stumped by the literal or figurative mountains in your life, I hope you take a step back and see the beauty in the task before you. And if you find yourself as lost as I was, pack up a bag and head to Phoenix/Sedona. Your soul will thank you later.


#ChallengeAccepted

Comments

Popular Posts